Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chocolate-Ginger Brownies

It is no secret that I love brownies. It has been this way for as long as I can remember. To increase your understanding of my love for brownies here is an actual conversation that took place in middle school (following our conversation about my recent break-up with Jimmy Diekmann):

Me: I ate an entire tray of brownies yesterday. 

Becky: Gemma, oh my God...

Nicole: (interjecting) She was SAD!

Me: No, I just really, really like brownies.

True story. Ask either of them.

So anyhow, I have been married to one recipe (which I will certainly share at some point or another) for quite a while. But, not long ago, I decided to break tradition and try a new brownie recipe (gasp!). And you know what, it was pretty darn good. I'm not about to abandon my tried and true recipe, but it was a nice change of pace.

The ginger in these brownies is what really sets them apart. They have undertones of spice cake, which I love. They are very fudgy but still have that nice crisped chocolate layer on top. Pretty wonderful. It's also a great recipe because everything comes together in the saucepan you use to melt the chocolate. Minimal dishes? Yes, please.

So if you're feeling adventurous with your brownies this holiday season, try these!

Ginger Brownies
adapted  from Martha Stewart Cookies

makes 8" square 


½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
2 large eggs
1 tsp. grated, peeled fresh ginger
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
½ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. coarse salt
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter an 8 inch suare baking dish. Line bottom with parchment, allowing 2 inches to hang over two sides. Butter parchment.

Melt butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in remaining ingredients. 

Pour batter into prepared dish and smooth top with spatula. Bake until a cake tester inserted near the middle comes out with moist crumbs, about 30-35 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before removing parchment sling and cooling on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...