Monday, December 5, 2011

Chicken Vesuvio

After quite the leave of absence, I am back. The whole not having a good camera thing was really bringing the blog down. But thanks to a brand spankin' new DSLR (an early Christmas present from my mommy-in-law, thank you, thank you, thank you!) there will be many more posts (even when I have to take pictures in at night, hooray for dinner food!).

So, lets get down to business. I have been wanting to post this recipe for Chicken Vesuvio since I started blogging. Since it's strictly a dinner dish, however, I was never able to get even a slightly decent picture of the dish. But now, you can actually tell that's chicken on the plate! Yay!

It is my go to recipe for chicken. It's the perfect weeknight meal for two. I almost always have everything I need on hand, it comes together in about 30 minutes and everything cooks in one pan (can I get an amen!). Plus, any meal that smothers my protein, starch and vegetables in a buttery garlic wine sauce is a winner in my book.

I love it. My hubs loves it. You'll love it too.

Chicken Vesuvio
 adapted from Cooks Illustrated Cooking for Two

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt & pepper
1/4 cup flour
5 tsp. olive oil
3-4 small red potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. rosemary
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
  
Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry. Salt and pepper both sides then dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in a 10 inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken for 6-8 minutes, turning once about halfway through. Transfer chicken to a plate, wipe out pan.

Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil over medium heat. Add potatoes to the skillet, cook until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, rosemary, oregano and salt, cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in broth and wine, and nestle the chicken, along with any accumulated, juice in the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 12-18 minutes, until the chicken registers 165 on an instant read thermometer.

Place chicken on plate, tent loosely with foil. Increase heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until potatoes are tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Remove potatoes from skillet with a slotted spoon. Add butter and peas, and continue to cook 1-2 minutes. Pour sauce and peas over chicken and potatoes. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...