Friday, September 9, 2011

Blue Ribbon Blackberry Pie

I have been dying to share this recipe with you. The Cazadero blackberries stored in my freezer from the early August picking have been calling my name forever. But I knew I had to wait. The Labor Day Lumberjack Barbeque would soon be upon us, and I had a feeling this pie would be a blue ribbon winner.


And you know what? It was.
I am now the reigning champion pie baker of the Old Cazadero BBQ.
It didn't just win the berry pie competition, it won best over-all.
I even beat my grandma's pie.
Oh yeah, it was that good.


It flew off the dessert table before I ever got a chance to try it.
 Someone even paid $2 to eat the leftover crumbs and berry juice.
Flaky golden crust, a perfect filling, the best berry of all time. 
It's a winner in my book.

Blackberry Pie
adapted from Cooks Illustrated but mostly my own creation


6 c. blackberries, divided (fresh or frozen is fine)*
1 granny smith apple, peeled and large grated
2 tsp. lemon zest
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
3/4 c. sugar
2 Tbs. instant tapioca
1 large egg beaten with 1 tsp. water
2 Tbs. butter or margarine, cut into small pieces

Preheat the oven to 400 with a baking sheet on the middle rack. Roll out the bottom portion of pie dough and place in a 9-10" pie pan. 

Place 3 c. berries in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce down to 1 1/4 c. about 12-15 minutes. 

Place grated apple in a towel and wring dry. In a large bowl, combine apple, cooked and uncooked berries, lemon zest and juice, sugar, tapioca and a pinch of salt. Transfer mixture to unbaked pie crust. 

Scatter butter over filling, top with the other portion of rolled pie dough. Pinch edges to seal. Brush with egg wash. Cut slits in the top of the pie crust to vent. Foil edges to prevent burning.

Place on the heated baking sheet and bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and continue to bake 30-40 minutes, until juices bubble and the crust is a deep golden brown.

*This recipe works for any variety of berries. I originally tried it with blueberries, and it is delicious.

2 comments:

  1. I made this...need to add loads more sugar because my pre-season frozen berries were way too tart..texture of the filling was great. Combo of applies and tapioca perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. The apple really helps soak up the extra juice without imparting a strong apple taste. And yes, out of season frozen berries aren't ideal...but sometimes you just need pie NOW. I understand. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...