Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Molten Chocolate Cake


I don't know why, but for the longest time I was incredibly intimidated by molten cakes. Then I saw this recipe in a magazine, and it looked so unbelievably simple. So, even though I had the wrong size ramekins, I went about making them and I've never regretted that decision.

I seriously make this desert at least once a week. For something so rich, that probably sounds excessive, and yes, it probably is. But I can't help myself. It's my favorite desert.

I make my cakes in ramekins that are the perfect size for sharing. You can also make them in custard cups for individual molten cakes too. Or you may want to keep the sharing size cake all for yourself.

I won't judge.

Molten Chocolate Cakes
adapted from Real Simple Magazine

makes 2 ramekin size or 4 custard size cakes

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into chunks
4 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1Tbsp. red wine, preferably cabernet
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
6 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. cloves, optional

In a medium microwave safe bowl heat butter and chocolate on high power for 1 minute or until the butter in completely melted. Whisk until smooth.

Add confectioners' sugar followed by vanilla and wine. Whisk until combined. Whisk in eggs and yolk until smooth.

In a small bowl, combine flour and spices. Stir into the batter until smooth. Divide batter evenly between two greased ramekins or four greased custard cups.

Bake at 425 for 20-22 minutes for the ramekins or 13-15 minutes for the custard cups, until the edges are firm but the center is still soft. Allow to cool for ten minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...