Friday, August 19, 2011

Barbeque Pulled Chicken

Lately, I've been cooking a lot.
I mean A LOT.
And I feel like I should share it with you.
I think, I'm becoming a food blog...mostly.

So let start things off on a deliciously easy note, shall we? The in-laws have once again killed a bunch of chickens, resulting in a freezer full of chicken for us. They're rather tough, making them perfect for crock-pot recipes. After searching the blogosphere, I found a few that look like definite winners. Stay tuned for many more delicious crock-pot chicken recipes I'll be trying in the next few months.

This first one caught my eye immediately because a.) it was smothered in BBQ sauce b.) it only has two ingredients c.) it is one of the easiest looking dishes EVER. Say it with me, won't you, Barbeque Pulled Chicken. Doesn't it sound amazing? I am a huge fan of pulled pork so this was the first of the chicken recipes to hit my test kitchen.

First things first, cut up your chicken into manageable pieces. Throw it into the crock-pot and smother it with a whole bottle of BBQ sauce. Cook it on the low setting for 3-4 hours (until it is cooked through and tender).

Take out your chicken chunks and let them cool slightly.
They should be all saucy and delicious looking...
 ...but don't eat them yet like I almost did.
Take the chicken off the bones and place in a large bowl.

Shred the chicken in a bowl using two forks 
(or your hands, who I am I kidding, that 's what I did)

Put it back in the crock-pot and stir it around in all that sauce.
Mmm...much better.
Let it cook for a couple hours longer so it soaks up even more saucy goodness.
Slap that on some hamburger buns and serve with fries. 
Dinner is served, my friends.

Barbeque Pulled Chicken 
adapted from Lick the Bowl Good

18 oz. bottle of your favorite Barbeque Sauce
1 small (3-5lb) chicken, cut into pieces

Place chicken in crock-pot and cover with barbeque sauce. Cook on low setting for 3-4 hours until cooked through and tender.

Remove chicken from crock-pot and allow to cool slightly, until able to handle. Pull the chicken meat off the bones and place in a large bowl. Using two forks (or your hands) shred the chicken.

Return chicken to the crock-pot and allow to cook for an additional 2 hours.

Serve on hamburger buns. 

Note: in the original version this recipe uses four boneless skinless chicken breasts, so that's fine and dandy if you don't have whole chicken lying around in your freezer, but I must say I can't imagine this recipe being quite as good without all that juicy dark meat. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...