|A very attractive shot from the 2008 Pumpkin Carving Party|
It is a great tradition. And, as with all great traditions, it comes with an array of special food. In preparation for this year's festivities I've started gathering ideas and trying out exciting new party foods.
Enter these fabulously fun creepcakes!
|How fun are those laffy taffy tongues?|
I used a basic chocolate cupcake recipe and a fluffy vanilla frosting for these, but you could substitute any number of flavor combinations for them. There are some must have candy items for these but you can use your imagination and whatever happens to be in your halloween candy stash.
Some must haves:
- Chocolate Chips (regular and miniature)
- Marshmallows (regular and miniature)
- Laffy Taffy
- Round colored candy (M&Ms, Gobstoppers, etc.)
- Licorice Lace
Your basic step-by-step:
- Make your cupcakes, allow to cool completely. (I used regular and mini muffin tins for variety)
- Make your frosting, tint with your choice of food coloring (definitely do some light and dark green)
- To make marshmallow eyes: cut a small slit in the top of a marshmallow, insert chocolate chips or colored candy for pupils. Marshmallows can also be sliced in half and have candy placed in center.
- To make tongues: flatten out a single piece of laffy taffy using a rolling pin or your hands, leaving the ends rounded. Cut in half and run a knife down the center of each tongue to make an indentation.
- To make tentacles: flatten out laffy taffy and cut into long triangular pieces. Press with your fingers to curve.
Stay tuned for more tricks and treats to come this week!
|Couldn't resist adding a picture of my little pumpkin at the pumpkin patch|